Safety and Security Notice:

I never include last names or specific private locations here, for the safety of our children. If you or your child is a friend of me or mine, and you approve a first name and photo being posted as appropriate, please click this link to email me with written permission. Thank you

Friday, September 16, 2011

Milestones

I was never one to get choked up on the first day of school, or when they first walked or what-have-you. Major milestones are not a problem. I'm proud of my kids but that sort of thing doesn't bother me much.

What does bother me - the things that make me all stereotypically Mommy-misty - are the little milestones. For some reason, Abby's jump into size three baby shoes just killed me. And when she was two-and-a-half, she brought a bean planted in a dirt-filled styrofoam cup home from daycare, which seemed so kindergarten that it made me cry. I gather from conversation that her father feels much the same way when he lines up the annual pictures of Abby on a Pony at the Fair.

Lizzy's first day of preschool? Not really a problem. Lizzy in the car this morning, saying, "Mama, I want to make putting my lunch box in the kitchen at school my special job."? Hoo boy.  She's in the back seat, I'm in the front, and I'm dripping tears while trying to keep my distress out of my voice. Such a big girl.

And Abby, last night when going out to play after dinner, said, "Mom, I think getting Lizzy to sleep before I get back is your goal for tonight."? Part of me thought excuse me? Who do you think you are, kid? and part of me did that Oh Em Gee my kid is growing up so fast thing, where Mommy's heart goes ka-thump. And as I choked back a laugh, I posted it online.


There's a reason this blog is called "Out of the Mouths of Gamers' Babes".

1 comment:

  1. These "small things" do have a habit of sneaking up on us when we're least prepared ;-) and kids are masters of surprise! lol
    I'm still affected by some of the major milestones too tho.. and my kids are expert at spotting me wiping my eyes..

    ReplyDelete