Safety and Security Notice:

I never include last names or specific private locations here, for the safety of our children. If you or your child is a friend of me or mine, and you approve a first name and photo being posted as appropriate, please click this link to email me with written permission. Thank you

Tuesday, January 2, 2018

To Resolve or Not to Resolve

And the answer is... not to resolve. Because here's the thing. Resolutions tend to be all or nothing. For me that sort of thinking leads to guilt (or maybe it's shame) if I don't succeed. And then I'm back in that vicious cycle of what Weight Watchers calls 'eating my emotions' and it all gets very ugly.

So instead of resolutions, I have goals this year.

The three big ones here are lose weight, get a 'forever job,' and avoid the Curse of Mom Leaving Town. (Click the link, seriously).

1) Weight. Yes, I know. And I may have better luck in the latest and greatest version of Weight Watchers Smart Points, because eggs and seafood and white meat poultry are zero points. I still have quite a bit of salmon and some hard boiled eggs left over from yesterday's Game Day too. Blue Dots can be achieved (my WW friends will understand that bit). And honestly, I have had so many fewer headaches and general malaise since leaving AT&T that I really think meeting, say, my step goals each day is possible. Stretch goal? I'm going to say 40 pounds in 2017.

2) Work. It's not working itself that causes me so much stress and the attendant headaches. But if you've read this blog for any length of time you know that my last job - although much enjoyed - was a major stress-bomb for me. Compassion fatigue, corporate politics, and quite honestly, probably an association with my late husband there. It was a very unhappy place for me for the past several months. So... I'd prefer something where I can use my degree in Intercultural Communications for more than customer small talk, where I can help people with more than their data speed, and with reasonable pay and schedule. I'm getting too old and tired for customer care. Ping me. Stretch goal: $60K a year, part-time telecommute.

3) Curse. There's not much I can do myself for this one except think positive and not allow myself to panic if something goes wrong when mom is not here. But it's been almost three years since her usual visit to her sister and we're stable enough now that she can go without feeling like she's failing us somehow. Stretch goal: Something positive will happen while she's gone! Perhaps I'll get my dream job (see number two) with a start date of the day after she gets back or something.

Loins girded, goals set. I've got this!

No comments:

Post a Comment