Safety and Security Notice:

I never include last names or specific private locations here, for the safety of our children. If you or your child is a friend of me or mine, and you approve a first name and photo being posted as appropriate, please click this link to email me with written permission. Thank you

Monday, January 29, 2018

The Little Things Redux

Not quite as much fun as this post about the little things.

But similar.

So the big things are taken care of. Rent, mortgage (I rent the land and own the house), utilities, insurance, groceries, even gas. These are all paid up to date as needed. The little things not so much.

I'm out of dishwasher pods (cooking at home to save money uses a lot of dishes, even with the Instant Pot. And my Instant Pot is huge).

Netflix is out until I can pay them, thereby changing my bill cycle to a more reasonable date (like closer to the first of the month). But Abby and I will have to forgo what they lampshaded as the "attractive yet non-threatening racially diverse cast of a CW show," (around 50 seconds into that linked video) until the first or second of the month.

It's cool. We have other viewing options. But it's messing with the flow of our superheroic angst fest.

Lizzy will be fine. She has YouTube videos of kid-friendly folks playing MineCraft and doing DIY projects with their fingernails and It's Okay to Be Smart.

On the other hand, due to a temporary water outage over the weekend, I have started a Facebook page for people who live in my neighborhood. It's more efficient than a phone tree, and when a pipe bursts (we're not sure why, but it's been raining a lot even by Seattle springtime standards, so maybe some support or other was washed away?) it's nice to be able to tell the whole neighborhood. The landlord's office thinks it's a great idea, too, which made me feel good (my mom suggested it, but I implemented).

Some of the little things, both good and bad, are not so little.

I still don't have an answer on my appeal to the Unemployment folks. And apparently it's a slow job day at my temp agency. It's not a federal holiday (though the kids are off school because the first semester ended Friday), so I'm not sure what's up with that. Still applying to all appropriate jobs though.

Abby a) gets to do another work-study program at Studio East (effectively assistant camp counselor for mid-winter break camp), therefore mitigating the cost of b) her tuition to them for Into the Woods (the call backs for which are tonight), assuming she gets in. This was a tough one; 90 kids auditioned for 38-40 roles. We shall see, but in the meantime, Abby's a little bit on tenterhooks. If she doesn't get into the Woods (heaven forfend), it will help pay for other tuition there; the credits don't expire until she ages out.

We love it there.

As anyone who has ever read my blog or my Facebook page knows.

Oh, also, cookies. Digital Cookie is my new best friend. Just click on the link, and you can pay by credit card to buy cookies and have them shipped, buy them and have them delivered by Miz Liz, or donate boxes to Operation Cookie Drop in her name. Plus, the video is super cute.

If you want to order the old-fashioned way, send me an email.


No comments:

Post a Comment