Safety and Security Notice:

I never include last names or specific private locations here, for the safety of our children. If you or your child is a friend of me or mine, and you approve a first name and photo being posted as appropriate, please click this link to email me with written permission. Thank you

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Passive Aggressive Behavior

I used to indulge in this quite a lot, although I did not recognize it as such until my ex and I were in marriage counseling. Since we both did it on a fairly regular basis in our youth, there were a lot of mis-communications and misunderstandings; we each thought the other should just know what was wanted. Using magic, I guess, or telepathy. I still do it with the kids some - The Look sometimes works better than words for disciplinary purposes - but I very rarely do it with Laston. Partly this is because I've learned my lesson - but mostly, it's that Laston is completely oblivious to such behavior. If I want results from him, it's better to just grab him by the lapels and put my face between him and his keyboard. Or better yet, send him a note online, with blank spaces for his response. He's never passive-aggressive. As I said, he does not get it.

So this last Sunday, when he was? I didn't recognize it.

I assumed he was just in a bad mood. I mean, that happens to everyone; he hadn't had much sleep the night before, I'm jobless and that scares us both, etc. He was grouchy and although I stated here that he did not guilt-trip me (I was - as usual - doing a fine job of that on my own), it was clear that he was unhappy about something. Until yesterday afternoon (so three days later), when he called his parents to tell them his work schedule had changed (they're coming to town and he wanted to make sure the dates were still okay). The reason he was so gloomy and off-putting Sunday? He thought I wasn't taking his parents' visit seriously enough; the house is still a mess etc. Why did this bother him on Sunday?

He didn't realize until three days later than their visit is scheduled for next week.

4 comments:

  1. I don't see that as Passive aggressive behavior. I see that as a clear example that the subconscious mind knew that there was something wrong, but the conscious mind could not supply the "thing". This happens to me a lot as well. I would go so far as to say that it happens to a lot of people. If you realize what is bothering you and you still don't voice it, THEN it's passive aggressive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I wasn't clear. HE know what was going on in his head; he was mad because I was blowing off his parents (he thought). But the ONE time he's passive-aggressive, *I'm* the oblivious one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Parents are hard, and they make us act differently than we would otherwise...I'm sure he didn't mean to be passive aggressive, probably just felt all twisted up and/or conflicted about saying something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honestly? I think he was just being polite by not saying anything :)

    ReplyDelete