Safety and Security Notice:

I never include last names or specific private locations here, for the safety of our children. If you or your child is a friend of me or mine, and you approve a first name and photo being posted as appropriate, please click this link to email me with written permission. Thank you

Friday, July 8, 2011

Little Girls are Strange

Abby came home from a week at Brownie Day Camp. She learned the following skills: cooking on an outdoor gas stove, picking berries, identifying which berries are safe and which are poisonous, tye-dyeing, baking in a box oven, hiking, jam-making, rowing a boat, rabbit care (a camp rabbit named "Patches", get it?)and singing ridiculous camp songs, some of which are old hat to me (like this) and some I hadn't heard before but have annoyingly catchy tunes and lyrics (like this). Ah, Scouting.

Lizzy on the other hand is working on potty training. She's done really well... during the day. And being Lizzy, she's collected more bruises and scrapes and bumps; she's having a growth spurt so she's clumsy, and she's not the most graceful child I know under the best of circumstances.

What I found interesting at the little end-of-camp show was that little girls are just as nasty and gross in their songs as the boys are. I had no idea that the Baby Bumblebee song had gotten so graphic. I learned it as bringing home a baby bumblebee (who stung me), then squishing up and wiping off the baby bumblebee. The way we heard it today was bringing home, squishing up, licking off, throwing up, and mopping up. All I have to say about that is ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

2 comments:

  1. Camp Songs - It's amazing how much they've changed. We sang the throwing/mopping up when we sang it, but my girls' version goes on to heaven and has many verses post death.

    I also sang the "Bubble Gum" song at camap, but my girls version is 'basckwards'. I just saw the titles of your songs (in a darkened hotel room with everyone else sleeping). I'll have to listen to see which version Abby sings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to what boys have been saying for a very long time. Girls ARE strange. And now that I am older, I wouldn't change a thing!

    ReplyDelete