Safety and Security Notice:

I never include last names or specific private locations here, for the safety of our children. If you or your child is a friend of me or mine, and you approve a first name and photo being posted as appropriate, please click this link to email me with written permission. Thank you

Sunday, March 6, 2011

A Day in the Trenches

Whew! My daughter Abby's Brownie troop is - like all of them - selling cookies this season. (I would have included more pictures but I don't have permission from the other kids' parents).

I had forgotten how much energy eight-year-old saleswoman can have. They were a whole lot of fun, and MAN do they have energy to spare! Their two-hour shift was about the outer limit of their ability (for the last twenty minutes (and packing up) they had trouble staying on track, but the next troop was very polite about waiting their turn).

The song they sang*  about the cookies was hilarious, and I'm sure it netted them more sales than they may have otherwise have gotten. We got compliments from store employees ("I've seen a lot of kids selling various things here over the years, and your two Brownie Scouts here are probably the most polite I've seen"), cookies sent to the troops through Operation Cookie Drop, and an offer of a trade of a small child for several boxes of cookies (the girls were horrified, not realizing this was a joke, so I just told the father that we only took cash and checks and did not know the exchange rate for little boys. He came back later to buy his cookies).

They had fun, they made people happy, they organized cookies to send to the troops, and they even provided entertainment for tired shoppers. I'm exhausted.


*To the tune of Frere Jacques:

Girl Scout Cookies, Girl Scout Cookies,
Yum, Yum, Yum, Yum, Yum, Yum
Eat 'em by the dozen, Eat 'em by the dozen
They're all gone, They're all gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment