Safety and Security Notice:

I never include last names or specific private locations here, for the safety of our children. If you or your child is a friend of me or mine, and you approve a first name and photo being posted as appropriate, please click this link to email me with written permission. Thank you

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Bought us Another Three Months

Tonight is Brownie Scout Meeting and it has become a bit of a tradition for Abby and I to go out to dinner before hand, just the two of us. She is learning to like sushi - she'll eat kappa maki and inari at least - and there's that nice little sushi restaurant between our place and the troop leader's place. So we'll go there. I'm girding my loins for more questions about the tsunami, but that's Being a Mom.

Abby got a "red card" for chatterboxing yesterday - this is the system by which her teacher keeps 24 energetic eight-year-olds under some modicum of control. The colors are green, yellow, orange, and red. Red gets a note sent home where the child has to write out what they did wrong and how they can improve, and then they miss a recess as well. Abby's looked like this (I can't reproduce the penmanship, but I can the spelling):

"What did I do wrong?" I tockt to much
"What should I have been doing instead?" Sit quietlea
"What will I do next time?" Sit quietlea and say sory

This is in addition to whatever their parents dream up. For Abby to get one just for talking - she makes me look shy and retiring by comparison under normal circumstances - means that she was talking a lot. And not shutting up when asked to stop. More than one friend with a kid Abby's age said their children were having trouble staying on task yesterday (and her teacher did too!) so we can blame Daylight Savings for that too. Not that it lets her off the hook; she's restricted from electronics and playing with her friends after school until I think she's earned those privileges back. I expect it will take 2-4 days. My friend Tiffany and I were hard put not to crack up laughing in the car yesterday when Abby explained - and she was absolutely serious - that the lesson learned from the last time she got a red card "only lasts for three months".

No comments:

Post a Comment