Safety and Security Notice:

I never include last names or specific private locations here, for the safety of our children. If you or your child is a friend of me or mine, and you approve a first name and photo being posted as appropriate, please click this link to email me with written permission. Thank you

Thursday, February 24, 2011

I Feel the Need.... the Need for Feed

I feed people. It's something I do. It's a way I show love, affection, hospitality, and friendship (I was going to say the way I show it, but I have been corrected by a friend on that score). Part of the reason I enjoy hosting Friday Night Games here is because most people's houses are not geared for our up-to-three kids. But part of it is definitely so I can feed the Friday Night Gamers.

And their kids.

And anyone else who wants to show up. Just let me know ahead of time, so I can arrange for the number of people and any food sensitivities. At FNG, we have several overweight people, two with diabetes, a few with food allergies (one of which is life-threatening), and one person on a South Beach variant. One doesn't care for soups, some won't eat fish for the most part, and a couple of the kids won't eat anything that's "mixed or too chunky or has sauce".

It's a challenge. And that's part of the fun. How to make a food that has no dairy (for me), no onions or mushrooms (for a FNGer with those sensitivities), is fairly low-carb (for the diabetics and the slow-carber), and the kids will eat? I fall back on pot roast (with root veggies other than potatoes and onions and carrots) about once a month. There's a pork roast I got from a diabetes-centric website and another I make (I call it tropical pork) that's a little sweet for the diabetics but as long as they take it easy on the fruit they're good to go. Sometimes I roast a chicken or two (or buy pre-roasted, as I plan to do this Friday), and sometimes I do good old-fashioned gamer food (aka "spaghetti") but I use whole grain noodles and make an effort to have one veggie (with onion and mushroom) sauce and one meaty sauce. No pine nuts.

I enjoy feeding people. And the fact that I've learned to cook doesn't hurt either, because I enjoy that as well. Some of my FNGers tease me about this feeding-people propensity, but they accept it as a quirk in my personality. Because they love me too.

4 comments:

  1. Great. I'll be right over. As soon as I can afford the plane ticket. ;)

    Cpsha: Gefulti - I'll be gefulti if I go to Jenn's house and eat all her yummy food. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. and because sometimes, you don't realize that you have helped so much (in other ways) that feeding - while appreciated - isn't needed because you HAVE helped.

    You consistently say "It's all I can do." when the fact of the matter is, you do so much else and there are times we wouldn't be where we are if it weren't for your quiet, determined, stalwart support

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to watch my phrasing then, because I grok that it's one of the things I do, not ALL I can do. But I do enjoy doing it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. (And boy, it's just as well I didn't title this post "I feed therefore I am". I would've gotten scolded MUCH harder)

    ReplyDelete