Safety and Security Notice:

I never include last names or specific private locations here, for the safety of our children. If you or your child is a friend of me or mine, and you approve a first name and photo being posted as appropriate, please click this link to email me with written permission. Thank you

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Favorite Places on the 'Net

So in yesterday's post, I mentioned one of my favorite web sites, TV Tropes, in passing. It's a wiki site, detailing the tropes - that is to say, the storytellers' devices and archetypes and so forth, commonly used in any number of media, from literature to video games, sometimes even in real life. I love it. I use tropes from this page to describe TV shows, favorite books, my kids, you name it. I use them in my own writing of character backgrounds (the character I'm making now may fit several tropes - for instance she may appear to be the Distressed Damsel, but will probably Gain a Level in Badass for a Crowning Moment of Awesome, and bring out her own brand of Waif Fu.) They're all in there, all those plot devices, MacGuffins, archetypes and character alignments, just waiting to be written in yet another form. I can't wait!

A few other Favorite Places on the 'Net? Well, aside from the usual ones everyone and their brother knows, and the list of blogs on the right, I like:

BabyCenter Momformation
(where professional Mommy Bloggers do their thing)

Big Fish Games
(where some of my favorite sharing-with-kids games come from)

Google Wave
(where yeah, I get that it's (sort of) going away, but in the meantime, it's the best gaming tool ever)

Do you have any favorites aside from the usual? Note them in the Comments.

2 comments:

  1. I tried to comment about tvtropes yesterday, but the interwebs ate my response and I was too annoyed to try again.

    Must not go on a wiki walk right now....must not go on a wiki walk right now. Tropes are Tools (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TropesAreTools), but TV Tropes Will Ruin Your Life(http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TVTropesWillRuinYourLife).

    As for your character, as long as she doesn't become a Mary Sue or Canon Sue (or other variations thereof, and I have to stop linking now or I'll fall in), Taking a Level in Badass and breaking out some Waif Fu (a la River Tam, the queen of Waif Fu) is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete