Safety and Security Notice:

I never include last names or specific private locations here, for the safety of our children. If you or your child is a friend of me or mine, and you approve a first name and photo being posted as appropriate, please click this link to email me with written permission. Thank you

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

TV Tropes to the Rescue!

WARNING: Potential spoilers, if you are one of the half-dozen adults or teens on the planet who has neither read the Harry Potter books nor seen the movies.

Eight-year-old Abby and I are reading the Harry Potter books, one chapter a night. We've only just gotten to Hogwarts in the first book, and this morning before school she wanted to be "Sorted".

According to this online test, she's a Hufflepuff.

She is seriously disappointed; she wants to be a Gryffindor. I explain that a big part of it is that Hufflepuffs tend to be basically good people, nice people whom you would want as friends because they're loyal. She's not buying it. I explain that some Gryffindors are, well, jerks. She scoffs. I explain that one James Potter was mean to other kids when he was at Hogwarts and she protests that "he was a great Quidditch player!"

Ha! Finally a point I can work with! We've talked about my favorite web page - tvtropes - before (she's the Tomboy Princess a lot of the time herself) so I explain that James Potter fits the Jerk Jock trope to a T. Having seen the Jerk Jock archtype herself in shows on Nickelodeon and Disney, she groks this.

But she'd still rather be a Gryffindor.

Depending on the test (and my mood), I'm either a Ravenclaw or a Hufflepuff. Smart and nice!

End spoilers. Begin shameless advertisement.

Hubby and I have started a new blog, where we plan to post short stories set in his Shattered World RPG setting. Check it out!

4 comments:

  1. Your in-depth results are:

    Hufflepuff - 14
    Ravenclaw - 14
    Gryffindor - 10
    Slytherin - 8

    Huh - I'm a hufflepuff/Ravenclaw from this... not sure how I feel about that. I wanted to be a griffendor as well, but if I'm honest with myself, those are not the kind I mesh well with. I tend to be more cerebral and I find joy in sharing knowledge with others. I try to get them excited about it too.

    Griffendor always strikes me as either the jocks or the snooty smart people. I'm a card carrying member of mensa as well, doesn't mean I have to be an jerk about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GmrGirl, I totally peg you as a Ravenclaw.

    Abby got:
    Hufflepuff - 17
    Ravenclaw - 14
    Gryffindor - 9
    Slytherin - 6

    I got:
    Hufflepuff - 16
    Ravenclaw - 15
    Gryffindor - 10
    Slytherin - 5

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your in-depth results are:

    Hufflepuff - 16
    Ravenclaw - 13
    Gryffindor - 11
    Slytherin - 7

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got Griffindor as my main house. but stats are:

    Griffindor-10
    Ravenclaw -10
    Slytherin -10
    Hufflepuff -9

    eh.. i guess i know myself well enough still. *snicker*

    ReplyDelete