Safety and Security Notice:

I never include last names or specific private locations here, for the safety of our children. If you or your child is a friend of me or mine, and you approve a first name and photo being posted as appropriate, please click this link to email me with written permission. Thank you

Thursday, April 7, 2011

A Happy Medium

No, not this Happy Medium.

Here's the thing. My work contract ends tomorrow. I'm concerned about finding a new position, and I'll miss my friends and my current job. Historically, for me this kind of stress leads to ridiculous extremes of overeating. Salt, fat, and sweets (and dairy, to which I am mildly allergic). I'm talking full-sized bags of M&Ms, entire bags of Nacho Cheese Doritos, pints of Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream, Hungry-Man Fried Chicken Meals and just junk. And lots of it.

And although I did gain some weight back with last month's walking pneumonia, I am unwilling to undo months of learning new habits for a snack attack.

But I want them. Badly.

So here's my compromise. I'm not eating what I had planned for dinner tonight (leftover Annie's mac-n-cheese for the kids, Costco meatballs for me and Hubby, a salad for everyone) because it's not what I want. They can have it, and I'll make it for them, but I want salt, fat, and sweets (and dairy).

I'm having a tuna sandwich (salt and fat), veggies with dip (dairy) and a 100-calorie pack of Pringles (salt and fat) for dinner. For my bedtime snack I'll have Frito-lay sunflower seeds (salt and fat), and orange, and a couple Oreo cookies (sweets). This way I satisfy my Bad Food Cravings while eating Food That Is Not So Bad.

See? A Happy Medium.

1 comment: