Safety and Security Notice:

I never include last names or specific private locations here, for the safety of our children. If you or your child is a friend of me or mine, and you approve a first name and photo being posted as appropriate, please click this link to email me with written permission. Thank you

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Watching with Knowledge

So I'm watching Farscape on Netflix Instant Play whenever I am kid-free and at home at the same time. This is usually after ten at night, or sometimes during the day whilst job-hunting and house-keeping.

I know how it ends.

And I am a lot more genre-savvy than I was when I was watching it the first time - episodes I videotaped off TV myself! In fact, I vaguely remember fretting at Abby's dad - "did you set the recorder for Farscape?" - on my way to the hospital when in labor with Abby. And of course TV Tropes itself has made me far more aware of the various tropes, devices, conventions, etc. in use in any given thing I'm watching.

On the other hand, Abby, age 8, is ridiculously genre-savvy. She spends a lot of time talking to the TV, saying things like, "For crying out loud, don't split up! Mom, these guys are splitting up again! You'd think after what happened last time, they'd know better by now. Phht." She's hilarious. All the more so because she doesn't mean to be.

Oh, and she hates the word "hilarious". She can't really explain why. She just says it "sounds bad". And she's seen the first three Harry Potter movies but we're only halfway through the first book in our reading, and she keeps wondering why things aren't "quite right". Mostly I suspect because I can't keep up a British (or any of the other) accents in the book and so they just don't sound right to her.

I jinxed my mom. After yesterday's post, Lizzy has refused to nap today at Grandma's. Oops.

2 comments:

  1. One can never have enough Ben Browder. I was in the hospital after having Katie when Season 9 of SG-1 premiered (1st ep with BB), and dh forgot to set the VCR for it, and I spent the next 2.5 years until we got the whole series box set wondering how the heck they introduced him and why in the world SHE (Claudia Black's character, Vala) was back. Because believe it or not, as much as we watched the old SG-1 Mondays (when SciFi was actually Sci Fi), I never managed to see that ep.

    And I wish I could find Farscape around here, because after seeing BB and CB together in SG-1, I want to know all the inside jokes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's on Netflix Instant Play. If you have a Wii or a TiVo or (I think) a 360 or PS3, you can get Netflix Instant Play

    ReplyDelete