Safety and Security Notice:

I never include last names or specific private locations here, for the safety of our children. If you or your child is a friend of me or mine, and you approve a first name and photo being posted as appropriate, please click this link to email me with written permission. Thank you

Monday, May 23, 2011

Shiny Shiny Chrome

Chrome Plated Steel Socket Cap Screw, Button Head, Hex Socket Drive, #8-32, 1" Length (Pack of 10)I like Google Chrome. I have since I started using it for Google Wave (the other browsers didn't care for Wave's Gadgets add-ons) around a year ago. Wave is no longer supported by Google I believe, but Chrome works best for Wave. And Chrome works nicely for Blogger, of course, as they are by the same people. So I was using Chrome for Blogger and Wave, and not much else, because I had Firefox set as my default and just never got around to changing it. Chrome is faster in many places too - like Facebook for instance - and on many other pages. So this morning - it's slow on the job-hunting front - I decided to export my Firefox bookmarks and import them into Chrome.
Chrome Superman Belt Buckle
This is harder than it sounds.

And it's not Google that made it harder. Firefox kept claiming to have exported the bookmarks so I could import them. But if it did export, it didn't put the exported file(s) anywhere I could find. So I did it the old-fashioned way, page by page. Since there are a bazillion pages I have bookmarked in Firefox and don't need, this is no great task; only about a third of the junk I have bookmarked needs moving over anyway.

PUR 3-Stage Vertical Faucet Mount Chrome FM-3700BAnd holy cow, I knew it was faster but I hadn't realized how much faster Chrome is. It's almost comical how pleased I am when something loads up quickly. Some of those more elaborate Facebook games, for instance, take eons to load on Firefox or IE. Chrome, not so much.

I still like Firefox's logo/icon better - I think it's clever. But from now on, Firefox is my browser only when Chrome is not supported on a given page. The only task left is to convince Firefox it's not Favorite Child anymore, and convince Chrome that it is instead. Shiny shiny Chrome.

3 comments:

  1. https://chrome.google.com/webstore?hl=en-US&category=ext

    You think you like Chrome now... take a look a the extensions you can add to it (ala Firefox) and make it even more awesome. Firefox people seem to have trouble letting go of there open source IE killer, but I have yet to be proven wrong when I say that Chrome just seems to work better. I am sure there are websites out there somewhere that prefer Firefox, but they are so few and far between that I don't accept them as valid arguments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you evil evil man. Color and Draw for Kids, and... arg....

    ReplyDelete