Safety and Security Notice:

I never include last names or specific private locations here, for the safety of our children. If you or your child is a friend of me or mine, and you approve a first name and photo being posted as appropriate, please click this link to email me with written permission. Thank you

Monday, November 21, 2011

Outing Myself

No, not that way. I'm outing myself as a sentimental slob. Some of you may have realized this, but I can think of a few people who don't really think I'm all that emotional. I try to hold myself together for the most part,  because things have to be dealt with before falling apart is an option. I'm good in an emergency, for instance, until it's over and then I tend to be useless for a bit.

In Real Life, that is.

In fiction I let myself go. It came to me with a certain clarity today as I wept and sobbed my way through Doctor Who: The End of Time that is is a bit of a pattern for me. I go along my daily way, being my normal fairly laid-back but with a temper self, and then... I watch something like this. Not just this episode of course, but the new (often emotionally-fraught) Doctor Who in general, when watched through Netflix Instant Play at the average rate of about two episodes a day, is enough to touch anyone with a heart. Nothing more heart-wrenching than a strong man trying not to cry, and David Tennant is the best tears-fighter on TV.

So here I sit, with swollen nose and red eyes. I was good. I did my homework and got a bit ahead on it. I did my job-hunting online for the day. I did the dishes and the laundry. Then I sat down for a couple hours of science fiction pathos at its finest. My head hurts, my face hurts, and I really look pretty awful (not quite this bad). But I am a girl, and sometimes I just need a good cry. Sure got mine today.

2 comments:

  1. I am totally with you, I have always been very sentimental, cry when I read watch movies. It actually caused an argument between friends once when we saw a movie together and when my friend Jon started teasing me our friend Lorie was so offended she started yelling at him in the theater. I was sitting there just trying to stop the tears at that point.

    I cry at just about anything, even the stupid coffee commercials, you know the ones where the kid returns from college, only now they made a new one and he is returning from war. Balling here!

    My kids find it amusing, my son teases me about it all the time, but I just have to remind him of when we saw the first "Buddy" movie when he was little and how he cried, he shuts up then.

    If you have not yet read them, I strongly suggest reading The Hunger Games, but the only thing I will say is have your box of tissues ready, you will need them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read the first one; the others are on my wish list. I really really liked that first book too

    ReplyDelete