Safety and Security Notice:

I never include last names or specific private locations here, for the safety of our children. If you or your child is a friend of me or mine, and you approve a first name and photo being posted as appropriate, please click this link to email me with written permission. Thank you

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Reluctant Housewifery

I've stated before how much I dislike the housewife role that I have been forced into by the (no) job market. I'm used to paying my own way with perhaps a bit of help, and the amount I get weekly from the lovely unemployment people doesn't cover my expenses. I have the utmost respect for the (willing) housewife and stay-at-home parent.

And when my beloved spouse gets home from work every day, it looks like I've done absolutely nothing. Some days this is true; I've done very little. Most of it is due to a) the kids and b) the fact that most of the stuff I do is intangible or at least invisible without looking carefully. As an example, today in the past five hours, I have done the following:

  • Made breakfast and lunch, and planned dinner
  • Cut up a gazillion veggies for dipping
  • Made chicken stew for a housebound friend
  • Done the dishes twice
  • Assisted an online friend with vacation research
  • Assisted a real-life friend with a game reference
  • Done five of the seven slides due in my Behavioral Science class this week
  • Done two of the three tutorials due in my Information Services class this week
  • Answered daily questions in both classes
  • Applied for four jobs online (weekends are slow)
  • Written this blog post
  • Ordered groceries for tomorrow and planned meals for the week
  • Done three loads of laundry (and I ran out of detergent so I added it to the grocery order)
  • Read seven books and assisted in construction of several Lego creations with Lizzy
However, because I haven't done the floors nor the kitchen counters yet, the place looks like a wreck. 


1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I feel ya. I am a voluntary housewife myself. And it feels like I have done NOTHING by the time the husband gets home, but I have been horribly busy all day long. Bleh.

    ReplyDelete