Safety and Security Notice:

I never include last names or specific private locations here, for the safety of our children. If you or your child is a friend of me or mine, and you approve a first name and photo being posted as appropriate, please click this link to email me with written permission. Thank you

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Kaor!

From Wikipedia
We went to see John Carter today. We were going to go with my parents - A Princess of Mars was my "first grownup sci-fi" - but the timing didn't work out. So Laston and I went alone.

I know it's been pretty much panned in the media, but I have to say I don't really see why. Did it follow canon? No, not really, but far more closely than some movies I could mention (*cough*Starship Troopers*cough*) and certainly not a worse interpretation of an old Edgar Rice Burroughs story than others (hello, Tarzan!).

The Tharks were thinner than I imagined them to be. Princess Dejah Thoris kicked more butt than I remembered. The thoats were done very well. Wolla the calot ("monster-dog-thing", Carter calls him) was excellently done. There were shout-outs to other movies (ha! Carter covered in the blue blood of a White Ape looks very very Braveheart). The people of Helium wore more than the strategically-placed jewelry mentioned in the books, but I imagine that to do otherwise would have pushed it past PG-13 and it is Disney, after all. The airships were beautiful. Sadly, Sola did not get to say, "my father's name is Tars Tarkas".

So it wasn't a great movie, no. But it was a decent action flick, especially when keeping in mind the source material (written a hundred years ago and more than a little dated).

And then there were the previews... between Brave and The Avengers I can see it being a busy summer, movie-wise. And I want to take Abby to see Mirror Mirror.

1 comment:

  1. I feel really sad that this movie tanked in the box office so much. I really, really enjoyed it. It's been a while since I read the books, so I am missing some details, but to me it *felt* very much like the books did. I agree about the strategic jewelry - I suspect that would have been rather difficult to pull off, no pun intended. I really loved Willem Defoe voicing Tars Tarkas.

    ReplyDelete