Safety and Security Notice:

I never include last names or specific private locations here, for the safety of our children. If you or your child is a friend of me or mine, and you approve a first name and photo being posted as appropriate, please click this link to email me with written permission. Thank you

Monday, February 6, 2012

I'm Not an Axe-Murderer

But I appreciate that others may think I am, as they only know me "on the 'Net."

Abby as a baby
I've been aware of this concern for years, because my first husband - Abby's dad - worried about me meeting ladies from Abby's birth club at www.babycenter.com. At the time I found his concern silly, because you know, bunch of pregnant women or new moms, and what could they do to me? Shake a rattle? But then Abby was actually here, and suddenly I was a lot more cautious, what with the precious bundle and all that. So I always arranged to meet them in busy public places like the mall.

Almost two years after he and I separated, I "met" a guy online - on Yahoo Personals, I believe. The caution was still there, and we met in person for the first time at a crowded McDonald's Play Place. We'll have been married for five years late next month.

So here I am, nine years later, 43 years old, and I'm meeting people online left and right, because I'm a social media kind of person. And I met a friend of a friend online, and he said he'd been sick, and he had some DVDs he could lend me (to feed my Doctor Who habit) and would I like to come over? "Sure," I replied, "I'll bring you some soup." I went, and (at my mother's request, and yes, still 43 years old) called my mom both when I got there and when I left there. For the record, I had met the guy in person years before, at a Science Fiction convention, not that that would have eased my mother's mind much. And he had been sick, so if he is an axe-murderer, he's out on sick leave; too weak to lift the axe.

And now I'm corresponding online with a number of young women (at least they tell me they're young women and I choose to believe that they are not - say - 60yo bald pedophilic axe-murderers in disguise) because we all like to write and we take turns editing each others' writings. A couple of them were concerned that I wouldn't be willing to chat with them because their parents had trained them to be Internet-cautious and they weren't giving out identifying information. I assured them that actually, I applaud their parents. And if you - yeah you, the one who claims to live near me - if you ever want to meet, I'm happy to talk to your parents and assure them that I am exactly who I claim to be... a forty-something unemployed, overweight, basically-cheerful (winter notwithstanding) mom, wife, and blogger. I'm not an axe-murderer.

4 comments:

  1. Definitely not an axe-murderer, as our meeting in the Barnes & Noble near our homes 8.5 years ago (with my mother present because my own axe-murderer-fearing husband couldn't go) should prove! Loved the title of this blog, Jenn, it brought back so many memories! I'm so happy to have known you online AND in person, to have walked 2 miles to your house for playdates and to be able to call you friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, this is liebedero off of FFN. The other other Jen. So many of them. I don't really worry about you being an axe murderer, and while I already elaborated why, I'll say it again. Anyone who watches Doctor Who and writes what you do, and has learned all the wonderful life lessons that the Doctor has to give, could not be an axe murderer. I'ts good talking with you, and I hope to continue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How could I possibly believe you? It's not as though axe-murderers come out an say they are. Just kidding. I agree with Jen that any Whovian who roots for the Doctor and not the Daleks couldn't possibly be an axe murderer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah.. i know what you mean and where you're coming from. i've met several people from on-line. current huz of soon to be 10years is one. I've meet friends in public and not public places. I actually didn't meet my soon to be husband in a public place.. i invited him right up and into my apartment lol! crazy loon that i was (am) 4 months pregnant and my 4yo sleeping in her room. i've got a pretty good 'bullshit' radar. i've become even better with it.

    i got many looks and overly concerned people berating me about my 'trust' in inviting in strange men (who could be axe murders) ..but so far.. my gut hasn't been wrong. I tend to "collect" strays - usually people. and more times than not, men lmao!

    ReplyDelete