Safety and Security Notice:

I never include last names or specific private locations here, for the safety of our children. If you or your child is a friend of me or mine, and you approve a first name and photo being posted as appropriate, please click this link to email me with written permission. Thank you

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Parental Shell Shock

So it's Brownie Scout Night and I was all set to tell you (again) about the wonders of Sushi Hana and the King County Public Library System and the cute little "Box of Pick" Abby made as Valentine crafts at Brownie Scouts.

And then she threw me a curve ball in the car on the way home, with, "I know what the inappropriate thing that girls and boys do when they're naked is."

<gulp>

Think fast, mama, you only get one chance at this without scaring her (or scarring her) so yeah, think fast.

"Oh, you do? What is it?"

"I can't tell you, "she says, scandalized. "It's inappropriate."

"It's okay to tell me, Abby, I'm your mom and it's important that I know you have your facts straight - that you've been told the right information."

"Oh... (long pause, voice drops to an almost-whisper)... it's when a boy and a girl get naked and the boy put his - you know - penis into the girl's - you know - private place."

"And why is that inappropriate?"

"Because I'm too young to talk about it. And way too young to do it, 'cause it would be inappropriate."

"Yes, it would. How old do you think is old enough?"

"Eighteen or so, I guess."

"That seems like a good age. Who told you about this?"

"I don't know, I just heard it, like on TV or something."

(long pause, dark car)

"Mom? Can we talk about something else now?"

"I think that's a good idea."

Now, Dear Reader, please excuse me while I worry that I've handled it wrong and scarred her for life.

5 comments:

  1. Nahh, I think that was about as un-awkward as that conversation can ever be.

    Maybe give her a few days to let the embarrassment die down a bit, and then just tell her to come to you if she has any questions based on stuff she hears?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom describes this as "the dark car of whispered secrets".

    I know I handled it appropriately on an intellectual level, but I'm sure you'll excuse me if I go have quiet hysterics anyway, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. as an emotionally sensitive and squishy person (underneath all the cat and tortoise stories), I can say that you handled this beautifully. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What else could you have said? It was totally fine; well handled! She's going to get all kinds of scary sex talk at school from other kids, so being available to her and talking about it is the best you can do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you handled it fine :) now she can remember this and then at 13 decide that 15 is too long to wait and watch "secret stuff" online...
    Or maybe not ;)

    ReplyDelete