Safety and Security Notice:

I never include last names or specific private locations here, for the safety of our children. If you or your child is a friend of me or mine, and you approve a first name and photo being posted as appropriate, please click this link to email me with written permission. Thank you

Thursday, April 12, 2012

And May the Odds Be Ever in Your Favor

The Hubs has the day off today and I'm unemployed, so we decided to use the last of the Norwescon money and go see The Hunger Games. We've both read the book (he's read the series and I'm halfway through the second book) and we're pretty sure it'd be too violent for the kids, so off we went, to see the matinee.  We joked about how when they tell you where the emergency exits are, they should really have a flight attendant up there, waving her hands to show you where  you can get off the plane out of the theater. We watched previews that made my mouth water.

Now, I'm a well-behaved movie-goer for the most part, and although I do not turn off my phone (I am a mother, after all), I do set it to vibrate only. Got a call. Didn't think much of it, but did check the message when I went for a restroom break. My father-in-law has broken his hip. I urge the Hubs to go home to his parents (they live on the other side of the state, about a seven-hour drive, and I'll hold down the home front) but there are a lot of hoops to jump through (arranging for time off work, etc) before this occurs, not the least of which is finding out how badly he's hurt.

But he'll never say; he's a tough guy, and he's too busy charming the nurses. And my spouse is worried about his mom and her ability to take care of herself and his dad, as she's not in the best of health. So the Hubs calls the nurse and says (in so many words!), "Look, I need to know more about this particular injury and the surgery for it from someone who isn't BS-ing me like my dad will." Ha! Good on ya, Hubs!

And it turns out he's okay, this is a clean break and a fairly routine surgery, and if they need the patient's kids at all, it'll be down the road during recovery rather than now. And even if the Hubs started driving right now he wouldn't get there until after the surgery this evening anyway. The train wouldn't get him there until after midnight, nor would any commuter flights. So he's not going unless the post-surgical phone call tonight indicates that they need him, and he will almost certainly make it over there sometime soon, to help everyone get situated. He told his dad to call him "if you need help, especially if Mom needs help. Hell, Dad, call me if you get bored, got it?"

And in the meantime, while we personally are not big praying types, I know that many of our online friends are, and I view prayer as a can't-hurt-might-help proposition. If you've got any to spare, please send prayers, good thoughts, healing vibes, whatever works for you. He could really use the odds being in his favor at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment