Safety and Security Notice:

I never include last names or specific private locations here, for the safety of our children. If you or your child is a friend of me or mine, and you approve a first name and photo being posted as appropriate, please click this link to email me with written permission. Thank you

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Ambassador to the Norms

That's what I did this weekend at Norwescon 36.

It's not an official title. But I forgot my minimal costuming gear (I had a lightstrip and a zipper and first aid tape in a flesh tone so I could go as a Raxacoricofallapatorian in a human suit - a Slitheen.). And so I looked completely non-threatening, as I don't have fur or a bumpy Klingon head or bat wings or an Imperial Trooper helmet or even a fez and a bowtie. Just a red tank top and jeans, like one of them. The mundanes who congregate at any hotel near an airport.

And between my Associate of Arts degree (which I will finish tomorrow) and the learning curve at my new job, my brain is full. I did not go to a single workshop or panel. I didn't want to learn anything else; I just wanted to socialize and shop this year. I convinced several mundanes to visit areas that are open to the public without a convention badge, like the art show and the dealers' room. Go me.

She's the TARDIS, and she's a woman.
He wished really hard.
There are always fabulous outfits at these things, and this year was no exception. I saw a realistic Xena and a tiny Rainbow Brite, and a giant Totoro, and the YipYip Martians were back. But there was one costume that I felt was so perfectly done it deserved special mention. And a photo. You see, she's Sexy. I mean, she's the Doctor Who character known as "Sexy" (but only when they're alone).

Oh dear, it is too long. I will sum up. For those of my readers who are unfamiliar with Who, let me just give you the summary. The Doctor is a humanoid alien known as a Time Lord. He travels in a ship called the TARDIS (that stands for Time And Relative Dimension In Space). The TARDIS is a living being, and in one episode (The Doctor's Wife) her mind / soul gets sucked out of the TARDIS machinery and into a human body. From the waist up this con-goer is Idris - the human woman with a TARDIS mind in her head - and from the waist down she's the TARDIS flight console (with working levers and dials!). With a couple of her Doctors - Two and Five.

A good time was had by all. And I'm going to bed. I still have a paper to polish before tomorrow night, and I have Con Hangover (no booze, just too little water and sleep, and too much walking and new shoes).

PS: For those of you still at the convention, Pamela (Raven) is further down the hallway than usual. It's a bigger and quieter space but some people are having trouble finding her. Don't miss her, because remember... "if you think you need a massage, you do!"

I sure did.

Twice.

ETA: Easter brunch at mom's was fabulous as usual, a good time was had by all, and my loving family also treated it as an occasion to give Jenn congratulatory gifts for graduating with an Associate of Arts in Communications (assuming I finish editing this paper - should take me another hour or so... just in time for Lizzy to go to bed and Abby and I to watch the new episode of Doctor Who)

1 comment: