Safety and Security Notice:

I never include last names or specific private locations here, for the safety of our children. If you or your child is a friend of me or mine, and you approve a first name and photo being posted as appropriate, please click this link to email me with written permission. Thank you

Friday, May 4, 2012

Hiatus to the Hiatus

I'm still officially on hiatus from my blog, because this is finals week at school. But my paper is almost done (tomorrow is revision and editing day, and Sunday is for finishing all the loose ends for this session) and the Hubs and I took a little break from the world at large to watch the world in a really big crisis instead. Movies in the Marvel Verse are usually pretty good, but this one... this one was directed by Joss Whedon. Thereby bringing the witty repartee level Up to Eleven in an already awesome series of movies.

However, a hiatus from blogging does not imply a hiatus to parenting, which is why I was at the walk-in-clinic with lil' Lizzy this morning at nine. She woke up with a sore leg, to the point of limping, and since Lizzy is the one of our three who cries for less than a minute when she has a dislocated elbow and then is on her way again, a limp - no matter how minor - is not to be ignored. (At this precise moment, she's asking me if I'm sending this message to the whole world. Um yes. Yes I am.) And she's limping a little, and whining and begging to be carried, and saying it hurts, so off we go.

Anyway, we're at the doctor, And this is a guy we haven't seen before and is not used to Lizzy's ways. Ans when he says she has a "groin pull or maybe a pulled hamstring" and I protest that she's only four (because to me a hamstring or groin pull is more of a football or hockey injury), he watches her slide off the exam table and then hop around in a circle on her uninjured leg, saying over and over that it hurts, and he says with an absolutely straight face, "yes, but she seems to be a fairly... active child."

Yeah, that.

So Grandma runs to the rescue, and the Hubs and I make it to the movies after all, albeit a later and more expensive (because it's 3D) showing than originally planned. I thought I couldn't see in 3D - never have been able to because my vision is not truly binocular (but ex-hubs reminded me that we saw Captain EO in 1992 with the polarized lenses) and this is my first 3D movie in twenty years.

I can see in 3D, as long as the lenses are the polarized type.

And it was beautiful. I spent the movie alternately cringing as things appeared too close to me, and squeeing (mostly quietly) over how the movie came together. I won't give spoilers here, but it was very very well done, a couple lines that literally had me laughing out loud, many references to Loki killing people For The Evuls, a couple parallels to my other favorite 'verse(s), because SHIELD and Torchwood... never mind... (that 9yo Abby will pick up on if her dad takes her to see it, as he may), and as mentioned before, the Jossiness of it all. (And the beefcake eye candy actors too!)

A good day. Lizzy is more-or-less back to normal, I've had my Mothers' Day Movie Fix, and the world is still turning, thanks to Nick Fury and his Avengers.


2 comments:

  1. I loved The Avengers. LOVED it. The only reason I didn't go see it a second time (seriously, almost went to see it a second time) was because I was (literally) sick and tired. Glad you enjoyed it! Even if some of it (*cough*actors*cough*) was for the "wrong" reasons. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teehee, Paul, I have so improved on that score; click the link near the top that leads to last year's reaction to Thor...

    ReplyDelete