Safety and Security Notice:

I never include last names or specific private locations here, for the safety of our children. If you or your child is a friend of me or mine, and you approve a first name and photo being posted as appropriate, please click this link to email me with written permission. Thank you

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Why yes, I DO spend a lot of time online. Why do you ask?

Is it the frequent use of "teh"? The sprinkling of assorted Web-speak in an otherwise-literate post? The blogspot, facebook, twitter, google and yahoo accounts?

For me it was two-fold.
  1.  When filling out a survey, I was asked if I was online "three times or more a week"? Um... I'm often offline three times a week. Is that the same thing?
  2. Three-year-old Lizzy has started adding the phrase "dot com" to everything. "Can you go to heart.com?" or "Good night, mommy. I love you dot com." It's a little unsettling.

6 comments:

  1. Hilarious! Also, I feel the same way. When I was applying (one of the times) to beta test the Chrome OS Cr-48, the highest option (I think) was online "16 hours per week or more."

    Really? I think I'm online 16 hours on a Saturday. On a damn 9 inch, year and a half old netbook, no less, because it's all I've got at the moment.

    AND most of my stuff lives in the cloud, including my entire Queer as Folk collection and probably 100 books. <3 Google Docs.

    Today at work, "Never Gonna Give You Up" came on the radio and I muttered, "It's not fair to rickroll me at work. I can't do anything about it here." Since I work in production, obviously, no one knew wtf I was talking about.

    By the way, you just lost The Game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - I lost The Game before I knew I was playing The Game

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your answer implies that you just went and looked it up - which means I just got another convert, even though I am currently losing repeatedly as I type this. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's what Google and Wikipedia are for :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes. And.

    I have come to the conclusion that a majority of people don't think that way. That's the whole reason lmgtfy.com exists, really. (Let Me Google That For You - if you haven't seen it, you'll love it.)

    Apparently it takes a certain kind of mind to automatically think, "Hmm, I don't know about that. Let me go look it up and get familiar with it before I reply."

    Most people just say "HEYWUTSTHAT???!?!?!one!!!1"

    Not even just stupid people, either. I positively BOGGLE at the number of friends who ask questions on fb and get dubious answers at best - when it would literally have taken LESS TIME to type it into Google and browse the first page of results.

    Honestly, I think some people find search engines and wikis intimidating or difficult. It's the only explanation for people's continuing reluctance to JUST GOOGLE IT. And as far as Wikipedia goes, if one more ignorant asshole tells me it's not reliable, it's all lies, and that's why schools aren't allowed to use it, I may ACTUALLY punch them through my computer screen.

    /rant over

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol - I get that a lot too. And, like any other resource, it should be taken with a grain of salt. Would I use it as a sole source of information for, say, a term paper? Of course not. But I would use it as a jumping-off point and click the links - you know, the links that corroborate the data - at the bottom of the page.

    ReplyDelete