Safety and Security Notice:

I never include last names or specific private locations here, for the safety of our children. If you or your child is a friend of me or mine, and you approve a first name and photo being posted as appropriate, please click this link to email me with written permission. Thank you

Tuesday, August 18, 2020

It's the Little Things... And the Big Ones

This tweet I saved a couple weeks ago sums it right up, doesn't it? For those of you who have trouble viewing it, it's a tweet from mid-July, 2020 by comedian Adam Conover, stating, "Gentle Reminder: Folks can care about important social issues AND frivolous distractions simultaneously. Most do, in fact. It keeps us sane."

It sure does.

I mean, today alone, before 3PM, I've thought consciously about the following:

  • Whether I should get out of bed now (at 7:30) or just in time for my ten o'clock Zoom therapy session (I ended up splitting the difference at 8:30)
  • "Thank god the temperature outside went down some!"
  • Getting the milk out of the milk box before the temperature goes back up
  • Making sure the coffee and the toast were done at the same time
  • Making a meme about melatonin and posting it
  • Working out some scheduling issues with my pod
  • Checking on my MyTribe Tribespeople
  • Worrying about the Post Office and kids in cages
  • Sending a note to my kids' new pediatrician, suggesting that she approach Lizzy from a concrete, scientific, measurable standpoint 
  • Working on the article I'm writing for my not-school job for 15 minutes
  • Complaining about the world at large (especially people who Just Don't Get It™) and my therapist telling me that's totally normal under the circumstances
  • Writing on Facebook about how I'm supposed to cut myself a break about these things
  • Getting pissed off at people who Just Don't Get It™ (especially the WhatAbouters© and the ButMahRightsers©/MasksCauseHypoxia-ers© and more especially the BLM-are-thugs-ers©)
  • Remembering that it's okay to get pissed off at these people
  • Unfollowing/Snoozing/Blocking assorted people who Just Don't Get It™ (and in a few cases, reporting their posts for mocking victims, false news, or even threatening a public official)
  • Fretting about my school year job as it's for a school district and It's All Very 2020 Out There™
  • Making lunch
  • Fretting about my kids in school as it's distance learning and It's All Very 2020 Out There™
  • Checking on my MyTribe Tribespeople
  • Wondering which Squeenix game I should (re)play next, as I'm not feeling the Final Fantasy 90210 I (re)started a few weeks ago.
  • Adding a manual back massager to my amazon wish list
  • Working on the article I'm writing for my not-school job for 45 minutes
  • Making up with an internet friend as in the light of day, it seems we Both Get It Just From Different Angles™ and apologies were made
  • Making a new internet friend I know I can agree with because of our mutual friends
  • Writing this post

Seven and a half hours. And I'm not done. Not by a long shot.

Case in point, just before I hit the Publish button, I got a call saying our department meeting for my school-job (scheduled for Wednesday) has been postponed but we will see the meeting members on Thursday for our other thing (in-service training, online).

Something else to think about...

No comments:

Post a Comment