Safety and Security Notice:

I never include last names or specific private locations here, for the safety of our children. If you or your child is a friend of me or mine, and you approve a first name and photo being posted as appropriate, please click this link to email me with written permission. Thank you

Wednesday, August 26, 2020

And... Random! August 26, 2020 Edition


My ex-husband is coming to take our daughter to a socially distant lunch today. This is both A Good Thing (they haven't seen each other live and in person since March) and A Scary Thing (because pandemic, even though I trust him to be safe). It also happened the trigger the word random in my head, due to a game of Talisman in The Long Ago, wherein said ex-husband played a truly random Leprechaun who kept casting the Random spell and giggling maniacally.

This led to a memory of his (Shadowrun?) character - I believe he was an orc or a troll - being stuck in (or waiting for?) an elevator in-game. The rest of the characters are fighting for their lives and here's M, whistling or humming The Girl From Ipanema every time his turn came around.

Anyway, I'm probably misremembering the details, because we are talking about decades ago and I have Quarantine Brain, but it tickled my random funny bone this morning.

And yes, this is a good example of the tendency of brains to randomize when there is no "normal." And also the caring-about-important-things-and-fluff-things at the same time. It's our brains' way of protecting themselves, I think.

I keep forgetting the date. That will be a little easier once school starts in our school district - though it be remote - next week.

Trying to appease everyone leads to appeasing no-one, and then everybody is mad. This applies from groups the size of major government all the way down to households.

I really want a massage, but I don't feel comfortable with getting my hair cut yet, much less full body massage!

Abby will be working a bit next week before school starts! Office stuff to add to her resume and build tuition credit at Studio East. Only four people in the whole building, masked, gloved, cleaning surfaces every could hours, etc. As safe as one can get in these circumstances.

Speaking of work, who knows what I'll be up to this year? Nobody to take to school means no need for a special driver, at least not until they start having kids in schools in person. I'll find out more tomorrow during a meeting with the PtB, I imagine. 

I'm craving pizza but that will have to wait until tomorrow or maybe Friday.

Mini mommy-meltdown last weekend because Abby will be 18(!) in December and Lizzy has graduated from TinkerCrate (STEM ages 9-16) to EurekaCrate (Engineering & Design ages 14 and up). She will be 13 next week, so this is kind of a big deal.

Speaking of Lizzy being almost 13, one of her besties is trying to make her a dress for her birthday (don't worry; Liz doesn't read my blog). Now, this bestie can sew, and she keeps asking Lizzy her sizes, but she (at 12) does not seem to have grasped that some of her peers are now rather - ahem! - larger than the last time they saw each other in person, and there's no way to safely do fittings. 

So bestie's mom and I are working on framing this friend's wish to make clothes for Lizzy as a good idea, but maybe a trapeze-style top or dress is in order. We need something loose and flowy, because Lizzy is no longer shaped like the little girl she was the last time she and her friend saw one another on anything approaching a regular basis. Which was in elementary school.


Ex is back with our daughter. I can relax now. I'm glad they got to spend some time together; it's been hard for them both, because they adore each other and they both suck at phone/text/email communication.

That was, in fact, a fairly random post, wasn't it? 


No comments:

Post a Comment