Safety and Security Notice:

I never include last names or specific private locations here, for the safety of our children. If you or your child is a friend of me or mine, and you approve a first name and photo being posted as appropriate, please click this link to email me with written permission. Thank you

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Freedom!

Most parents, when posting about freedom in June (at least in the Northern Hemisphere) are referring to the kids being out of school. I am not.

That was a week and a half ago.

No, freedom in this case is that the younger two are with Gramma at her timeshare condo this week, starting right now (they just left) Sunday noonish and not coming back until at least Wednesday, maybe later. The eldest lives with her mom, so she will be here during her usual (summertime) mid-week every-other-weekend whether her sisters are here or not. That'll be nice for her, as she doesn't get a lot of one-on-one time with her dad, and this way she will get some.

In the meantime, even with work and all, Mr. K and I are on our own for a couple of days, without having to worry about children going to bed at a decent hour or whether they'll eat the concoction one of us made from leftovers.

And it feels like freedom.

This is not to say we won't think about them - probably 24/7 - while they're gone. We will. We always do. But we can watch grown-up shows without worrying if someone is sneaking out of bed to hear bad words on the TV, and basically just be Jenn and Laston for a couple days, not Mom and Dad. It's like our annual sojourn to Norwescon, but with work schedules.

I can live with that.

I have a paper to finish, financial woes to chase down (my wallet went missing, and I had to cancel all my stuff and get new ones, but at least I got the most important stuff dealt with already), new job training to attend (I'm really enjoying it!), a house to tidy, books to put away, and laundry to do. But I don't have to corral other people into helping me.

That makes it a lot easier.

It sounds like I am complaining about the kids. I'm not. They are kids, though, and that means that things are simply less complicated when they are around.


No comments:

Post a Comment