Safety and Security Notice:

I never include last names or specific private locations here, for the safety of our children. If you or your child is a friend of me or mine, and you approve a first name and photo being posted as appropriate, please click this link to email me with written permission. Thank you

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Political Bitterness and Unemployment

If Congress would do their jobs (in a timely manner rather than as an eleventh hour save), maybe I could get back to doing mine.

I heard on the radio today that the reason they didn't want to extend unemployment pay is because they believe that unemployment checks make the unemployed stop looking for work. Let me just assure you right now that this is not the case. At least not for anyone I know, including myself.

I lasted one day in collections. Apparently I'm "too timid" (as though I have ever been accused of timidity!). No, I am not timid. I'm nice (although I am sure there are some people who would disagree with me, including my kids over this holiday break). But having been out of work for almost two years (less ten weeks last fall), I am simply not cynical enough to assume that everyone who has not paid their bills is a deadbeat who doesn't want to.

I want to pay my bills. I want a job. Preferably one that does not make me feel like I'm kicking people while they're down (metaphorically speaking) at the end of the day.

I think the big problem is that to most politicians, unemployment is theory. They are simply clueless as to the real world problems of living paycheck to paycheck, much less UI check to UI check.

Oh sure, +Laston Kirkland makes decent money. We don't have cable TV. We live in a two-bedroom apartment when we really need more space. We buy Christmas gifts with gift cards instead of cash. You'd think - or Congress would - that we're fine, we're just mismanaging. And some of it has been mismanagement.

But not most of it. Most of it is the reality of three kids and a world where the powers that be think I'm a deadbeat, and would rather not help me become less of one. I suppose because they're the cynical ones.

2 comments:

  1. Same here. You aren't enough of an a-hole to work in collections. And you can tell when a collection agent is lying - their lips are moving. Not Jenn.

    I'm hoping against hope that I can find a contract or permanent position when mine runs out on 1/31.

    Mike finds minimum wage jobs - for the same work that he has done for much more money. We can't live on minimum wage. He's been out since September.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Not enough of an a-hole to work in collections." Thank you for that!

      Delete