Safety and Security Notice:

I never include last names or specific private locations here, for the safety of our children. If you or your child is a friend of me or mine, and you approve a first name and photo being posted as appropriate, please click this link to email me with written permission. Thank you

Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Traumalympics

stay healthy helpful and calmI've talked around this topic before, but never come right out and said it in so many words.

This is bigger than you. 

It's bigger than you, your family, your health, your business, and your personal needs.

This is about living for everyone.

And a disease that kills this quickly and has tons of people who are asymptomatic but contagious... it's a trifle more immediately obvious than the somewhat vague phrase "climate change" or the less accurate "global warming."

I have friends, real-life-I-love-them friends, who think it's all overblown hype. I have had to snooze or block these friends where I do still see them online because honestly, why are you like this?

It may be overblown hype, but so what?

Honestly, I'm a big proponent of better-safe-than-sorry, and for many more people than my fat, asthmatic, at-risk self. Maybe that's the issue - the people who are seeing it as solely hype or only about their ability to make a living just don't possess (or were never taught) the ability to see past their own noses.

It's my goal to get everyone out of this physically healthy and reasonably sane, and I feel like anything else is icing on the cake. I'd love to learn Japanese, lose fifty pounds, and make a million dollars during this time, but I'll be satisfied with getting out of it as healthy as I went in.

You are not more traumatized because you can't have your weekly mani-pedi or your school can't deal with your kids long-distance or you haven't been to a baseball game or the opera for weeks.

And before you get all holier-than-thou, know this: I still worry (and complain) about my Quarantine Mullet and how much I need a massage and whether I'll have work next month. Of course I do.

I just don't advocate putting everyone on the planet at risk so I can have those things now.

No comments:

Post a Comment