Safety and Security Notice:

I never include last names or specific private locations here, for the safety of our children. If you or your child is a friend of me or mine, and you approve a first name and photo being posted as appropriate, please click this link to email me with written permission. Thank you

Friday, March 27, 2020

What Can You Do?

Bitmoji ImageYes, I am still coping better than expected.

But I find that my reactions - fear, concern, amusement, outrage, everything - is exaggerated.

A friend posted a joke on Facebook yesterday ("I was going to post a joke about time travel, but none of you thought it was funny.") and I laughed far, far longer and more than the mild amusement I would feel at any other time would warrant.

Same for irritation with the kids over little things, partly because I didn't initially take into account that they're stressed, too. I checked my privilege. Our school district came out with their Northshore Learns v2.0 yesterday, and I found myself both inordinately pleased that they came up with something at all and completely eye-rolly about the parents who immediately said it isn't enough. Of course it's not enough. But it's what we've got. Check your privilege. I heard someone online yesterday complaining that they couldn't get into urgent care for sunburn and joking (I hope!) that they'd "hafta shoot up the place to get any attention."

I'm usually pretty bad at suffering fools gladly - I can be polite if snarky to them - but right now I just want to bite fools. Or slap them sillier than they already are. But that would take me within six feet. So I'd better not.

Here's the thing:

  • No-one is trying to take away your guns. They're trying to keep scared people from shooting other people dead over the last roll of toilet paper at Target. 
  • No-one is trying to make you into the main teacher for your child. They're trying to keep everyone from dying, including the teachers.
  • No-one is trying to keep you from getting medical care for minor problems. They're trying to keep you from catching something worse.

The current "administration" is an exception to this because their profits trump (pun intended) your health, life, freedom, and education. And a few billionaires who don't give a crap about anyone else. Trickle-down economics doesn't work; all that trickles down to the little guy is crap.

What is it about 'pandemic' and 'emergency' that these folks don't get?
Kious Kelly, Nurse. Dies of
Covid-19 at 31 years of age.

These are odd times, an odd situation.

It's bigger than you. It's not (solely) about you.

I get that you're scared. So am I. But we need to not forget that other people are important too. There are millions of us here. Billions around the world.

Check your privilege.

No comments:

Post a Comment