Safety and Security Notice:

I never include last names or specific private locations here, for the safety of our children. If you or your child is a friend of me or mine, and you approve a first name and photo being posted as appropriate, please click this link to email me with written permission. Thank you

Sunday, March 22, 2020

Please Stay Safe

stay healthy helpful and calm
I'm not going to lecture here. If you're on social media at all, you'll have seen all the charts and graphs and news stories that say we're low on tests, low on supplies, and low on morale. At least here in the US. Whether you think the federal or state or province or whatever administrations are doing a great job or an awful one, right or left, prepper or peacenik, science or religion or both or neither, I'm not lecturing.

But I am going to appeal to your better nature.

Here's the thing: this is not the seasonal flu. This is a new virus, and while it has similarities to some older ones, it's not the same. We have no immunities.

The powers that be in my state haven't required sheltering in place, although they've strongly suggested social distancing, closed the schools, closed recreation except for takeout. I think they were hoping they didn't have to, but this last week has proven them wrong. I doubt my governor - Inslee - wants to officially suspend our right to assemble, or he would have done it already. But a lot of people aren't listening to common sense.

It's all well and good to take an unexpected week off work and school with nice weather and go out in it, but people are gathering in groups. The beaches - and it's Washington State, so even with nice weather those beaches are damn cold in March - are crowded. The hiking trails have too many people to keep six feet away from other hikers. The grocery stores are still packed. Places that sell guns and ammo are running out; I guess their customers are concerned that others will steal their supplies, or maybe they're planning on backing up that right to assemble with force. I don't know. But there are a lot of people out there congregating in groups, indoors and out, endangering themselves and others.

Bitmoji ImageNow, I'm not talking about the folks working in essential services like emergency services or grocery delivery or medical personnel. These people are risking their own health to keep the rest of us supplied. Good for them. Tip them well where allowed.

And I understand that mental health is not too great right now, and for a lot of people, beachcombing or hiking or just connecting with nature is helpful for that, especially in the springtime after a wet Seattle winter. I like it too. And goodness knows I could use the vitamin D. But I stay in my own neighborhood or car and I stay away from folks not in my household. And I send the kids to the mailbox armed with disinfecting wipes.

It's okay to be afraid and anxious and nervous and angry about this. And the need to share that emotion with others is strong. That's valid. I get it. Try to do it by phone or online. Or shout it from across the street. Whatever works at a safe distance.

But please, for the sake of whatever is your personal belief system, please stay away when you can.

Your life may depend on it. Or the lives of your loved ones.


No comments:

Post a Comment