Safety and Security Notice:

I never include last names or specific private locations here, for the safety of our children. If you or your child is a friend of me or mine, and you approve a first name and photo being posted as appropriate, please click this link to email me with written permission. Thank you

Thursday, March 19, 2020

(Is It) Spring or Is It Virus?

Bitmoji ImageDon't worry. It's spring, at least for me and mine. But the phrase keeps circling through my head to the tune of "There! Right There! (Gay or European)"? from Legally Blonde.

Here's the thing, though: if people do go out in public - even at a reasonable distance - they're getting dirty looks if they cough or wheeze or sneeze. Which I do a lot this time of year under normal circumstances, because of hay fever and allergy-triggered asthma. This is scary because wheezing, cough, and sniffles are normal for me when The Pollens are out to play. So I'm staying home as much as possible, and only going out if there's something that must be done but Abby can't do. Like pick up medication. Or booze.

And I'm an extrovert who wants to be with people and doing things and out in the world in the process. And the fact that the US epicenter of this whole mess is in and around the hospital where Lizzy was born and Laston died, well... let's just say that adds a certain wistful twist to the metaphorical knife this is putting in our equally metaphorical bellies right now.

That said, all this social distancing and handwashing means that I have not gotten my usual round of Assorted Viruses on Top of Allergies That Complicate Into Bronchitis. Yay! And my neighbors and friends, as always, are awesome... just today, for instance, a friend braved Costco and brought me fresh fruit and a Caesar salad kit. Another just texted me and said she was going to the store and did I need anything. And there's lots of places I didn't even know delivered! Even if they're all out of important things like Lysol and toilet paper.

Now, on to the more odd / OutOfTheMouthsOfGamersBabes / day-to-day that is our new normal. And a new normal that is a moving target, at that.


Dishwasher - yes, the replacement one - isn't draining. So I took its insides apart and found a broken chain from the tea ball, with a truly alarming amount of long brown/red/blue-black hair, and general slime attached to it, all in the drain. Okay, cleared all that out and bailed it out and ran it on rinse-only. There is still some water in the bottom, though less of it and it's cleaner this time. Took the dishwasher out from under the counter, snapped a picture of its underbelly, and sent it to my friend who installed it (I'd rather they didn't come to look as they're immunocompromised) and they gave me some pointers. The sink it's attached to is not clogged, so that's not the problem. Yep, it's the white hose. Grand; now I have to take the hose off and I dunno... it's too small a diameter for the plumber's snake. I'll figure it out (or handwash dishes) but right now I'd rather have the sanitizing ability (and convenience!) of the dishwasher! (EDIT: Dishwasher is still not draining, though I can tell it is almost definitely the outtake hose. I don’t have the tools to deal so it’s back to hand-washing dishes until it’s both medically advised and financially possible to get a person with tools in. I’ll deal).

In the meantime, here's what's going on at Chez GamersBabes by way of trying to um... unschool, I guess. Like homeschool, but student-directed and not a lot of imposed structure. Our district tried online schooling for a week but there were legal issues with equity for all populations so we're pausing for a week. As a parent of one 'typical' learner and one 'special needs' learner, I feel both sides of this issue. I don't think getting a waiver from the state to avoid servicing a bunch of our most vulnerable students is the answer (as some people have suggested), but neither do I feel that expecting those vulnerable kids to keep up with the mainstream is right. It's a tough question, and my usual Needs of the Many Trekkie philosophy is not working well on it.

The cognitive dissonance is strong here.

So my kids and I are doing this: On weekdays I'm requiring an hour of 'academics' (reading, online tools, that nifty virtual field trip they took to Blarney Castle on St Patrick's Day, etc) in the morning. Then an hour of 'creative' (lots of different things here) in the afternoons. Some outside/movement time, and some household chores. They're both taking music lessons once a week, over Zoom.

And lots of Choose Your Own Adventure Everything, from food to entertainment.

Abby is reading, drawing, baking, watching anime, and singing. Nothing new there, but she is having a little bit of a hard time - in spite of being the least phone-centered of our household - because she's a social child who is used to having her school friends on tap on weekdays. She does pretty well in self-scheduling, and she's getting caught up on things she hasn't had a lot of time for. She's great at finding ways to amuse herself (and often Lizzy). And man, these brownies are awesome.

Lizzy needs rather more structure and predictability in her day. She's eggshell-fine - so although she's generally okay she's having trouble self-regulating emotions. Can't find the missing puzzle piece? Stomp off in a huff while shouting that it's all stupid instead of asking for help. This is her normal (and sometimes mine - see the rant above about the dishwasher) so I'm just reminding the whole family that we're all a little touchy this week. Her academics are currently a mix of Snap Circuits Jr (the replacement missing piece and manual are on their way), reading, and assorted little science experiments ("Mom! Look at this magnet and what it does to these paper clips!). Her creative time is practicing piano, doing jigsaw puzzles, and assembling LEGO BrickHeadz.
Bitmoji Image
They play board games together, Abby and I watch anime, and Lizzy and I play Final Fantasy.

Family time after dinner is mostly Abby and I introducing Lizzy to the wonders of Star Trek: The Next Generation. Because it's always a good time to have hope for the future.

Now! Back to dishwasher repair!


No comments:

Post a Comment