Safety and Security Notice:

I never include last names or specific private locations here, for the safety of our children. If you or your child is a friend of me or mine, and you approve a first name and photo being posted as appropriate, please click this link to email me with written permission. Thank you

Friday, January 2, 2015

That's Just Sick

Me, that is.

It's not a bad illness; I'm 99% sure it's just a head cold, because Google knows I've been doing this long enough to know that stuffy head and scratchy throat and the basic blahs, no fever and no chest congestion and no ear involvement... is just a cold.

If any of those last three manifest I go to the doctor, because I know me and I know what spells A-S-T-H-M-A-T-I-C B-R-O-N-C-H-I-T-I-S  for me. It ain't pretty (yes, dear stepdaughter Leanna, I did use the pseudo-word ain't; when I use it deliberately it's different than when I correct your speech. Love ya).

But at the moment it is just a cold. Unfortunately it is a cold with what I learned is called situational laryngitis... the same sort of laryngitis you get from screaming and shouting at a sporting event, say, or a rock concert. Overuse of one's larynx when susceptible for whatever reason. In my case, whatever reason is this: I talk for a living, 8+ hours a day, five days a week. And then I come home and talk some more, whether reading about Jack and Annie to Lizzy, or shouting at the kids to knock it off for the love of Google... that's beside the point. It's still using my voice.

So now, today, I have none.

No voice that is, and although I am tired and headachy and sniffly as well, I don't feel that OMG-I'm-Going-To-Die way that means I'm really ill.

I can't work in a call center with this (lack of) volume though, so I may as well make myself useful at home. But I don't have enough energy to do the big chores, and even with colds you want to take it easy. So I have dishes and laundry running, and soup simmering on the stove (recipe later) and lemon-ginger tea with loads of honey brewing, and aside from folding the aforementioned laundry, I don't plan on doing anything energetic. I'm supposed to work tomorrow, after all, and I want my voice back.

Today's Sick Day Soup (vegetarian style!):

  • 32 oz organic vegetable broth
  • 32 oz organic mushroom broth
  • one can baby button mushrooms
  • one can sliced water chestnuts
  • several squirts lemon juice
  • 3/4 cup pearl barley
  • black pepper and soy sauce to taste
That oughta do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment