Safety and Security Notice:

I never include last names or specific private locations here, for the safety of our children. If you or your child is a friend of me or mine, and you approve a first name and photo being posted as appropriate, please click this link to email me with written permission. Thank you

Monday, March 15, 2021

Unmet Expectations (That are my Own Fault)

Cartoon rendition of me, a brown-and-grey-haired,
 fair-skinned, green-eyed person in a blue shirt.
The expression is embarrassed
and the caption says "OOPS!"
So today I needed to order a couple things that are not normal grocery-type things but that we could really use. A long-barrel lighter or two, a funnel that will fit in Lizzy's art-project bottles, that sort of thing. Nothing outrageous or that I would need a specialty shop for, just... different to the norm for our household.

And I wanted them today, as I don't have any matches or other lighters on hand, and how am I supposed to light my daily reminder candle, with the power of my mind?

All righty, well, these are things one can get at the local Safeway, and I have that Shipt account so I don't have to go out in the Covidness of it all. So I got my online shopping cart up to about $31. Now, I could've stopped at $31 and paid $7 for delivery, or I could bring my total up to $35 and get free delivery, so I chose the latter.

Hmm... what do I want? Well, it's Safeway, and they have a decent (if probably inauthentic) Chinese-food section of the deli, so... I know! Kung Pao Chicken for lunch!

I wanted Kung Pao Chicken.

I ordered Kung Pao Chicken.

I even corrected my phone when it thought I wanted King Oso Chicken (What? I write in Spanish a lot more than I do in Chinese).

So the Shipt Shopper did what they do, texted me when he got to Safeway, asked when he had questions ("do you want rice with your Kung Pao Chicken?"), and thanked me for the clear directions to my house, which is tricky to find the first time.

I took my groceries in and put the frozen and refrigerated stuff away.

Then I opened the Kung Pao Chicken and it was... not what I expected.

I mean, I had thought Kung Pao Chicken. I had said Kung Pao Chicken. I had even typed Kung Pao Chicken more than once, including correcting my phone.

But the picture in my brain was General Tso's Chicken.

The Kung Pao Chicken was awesome; it really hit the spot and satisfied the craving. 

Not what my brain expected.

But awesome.

And that's kind of how my week is going so far. 

Not bad, not at all.

Just not what I thought I wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment