Safety and Security Notice:

I never include last names or specific private locations here, for the safety of our children. If you or your child is a friend of me or mine, and you approve a first name and photo being posted as appropriate, please click this link to email me with written permission. Thank you

Monday, May 11, 2020

The Four C Words

stay healthy helpful and calmNot that C-word. I try not to use that C-word. Yeah, yeah, it's less fraught in other cultures, whatever. I still don't like it.

Anyway, part of today's training was a TED Talk from Scott Geller. He's a bigwig in Applied Psychology, and a lot of what he says makes sense to me. This may well be my own internal bias, as a lot of how I've learned to communicate with my youngest is similar or maybe even based on some of his stuff, and he seems to be pretty liberal, politically speaking. So there you go - I am not an unbiased witness.

The training was about working together and thinking positive, for the most part, but I'm gonna take those Four Cs and interpret them in this time of Coronavirus.

The Four C Words in this are:

Consequences - our consequences, of course, are literally life and death. For some people, this is more about making a living being more important than life, as far as I can tell. The problem is they don't want to put their own lives on the line; they want to make it cool for the rest of us to put our lives on the line so they can make more money. I'm not talking about the teeny businesses here - you know how I feel about them - and the ones I know seem more willing to live with the restrictions anyway, as well as the ones more likely to be screwed by the federal government. For whom it seems there are few consequences.

Competence - true competence, to my way of thinking, is doing what you can on your own, and ultimately knowing when to shut your mouth and consult an expert. Or several experts. Which my state governor is doing, and my federal government is very decidedly not.

Choice - the folks out there shouting about not having a choice? They seem to mostly be the same folks who think they should police our choices over our own bodies and relationships (and several of them are clearly raging asshats, given that they're also waving Confederate or Nazi flags. This is not a good look). Yes, my health does actually outweigh your coiffure, you self-important asshole. Which brings us to...

Community - we're supposed to have one. Or maybe Civilization is a better C-word for this. God knows we could use one right about now. I long for the day when we can be decent to each other. I'm really tired of the conspiracy theories, violence, and the money-over-lives bullshit.

I don't like this better than anyone else, I desperately need a haircut, I could really use a massage, and I suck as a homeschool teacher.

The only difference between me and you is that I'm not willing to kill for these things.

No comments:

Post a Comment