Safety and Security Notice:

I never include last names or specific private locations here, for the safety of our children. If you or your child is a friend of me or mine, and you approve a first name and photo being posted as appropriate, please click this link to email me with written permission. Thank you

Thursday, June 14, 2018

About Me

Reading through Facebook and Google Plus and online news sites - and feeling sick about what I read - and I just thought I'd share my thoughts and feelings about... well, lots of stuff. Feel free to disagree (see point 2) but if you're a jerk about it, I'll block you.
  1. I may believe in a higher power. I don't know for sure, so I call myself an agnostic-leaning theist, although I am culturally Christian, celebrating the major Christian holidays and such. I do know that Christianity the way the likes of the current administration's members claim is not the Christianity I was taught about. Saul/Paul was a bigoted jerk and most of the recent crop (in power) seems to be following him rather than the guys who reportedly hung out with Jesus. I just try to be a decent person and a good parent. I usually - but not always - succeed.
  2. On a similar note, I only care about your belief systems, sexuality, color, gender, ability, physical and mental health, (and so on) insofar as they are interesting. They are part of you, and none of them define you on their own. So yes, your characteristics and beliefs make you interesting. I'm not going to judge you for them as long as no-one is hurt by them (at least, no-one who is not a fully informed consenting adult). 
  3. I feel that "President Trump" (air quotes intentional) is a horrifying example of a human being (along with others in his administration and both houses of Congress, especially Ryan, Sessions, Huckabee Sanders, and DeVos, but they are freaking legion), but I still try really hard to focus on the behavior, and the statements made, not the orangeness of the skin or the fakeness of the hair or the tiny hands. I spent all this energy learning to tell my kids when their behavior is bad, not they themselves. And although I may believe it of the folks listed above, I'm not going to pick on the size of their body parts.
  4. I worry about Barron Trump.
  5. Abortion is lessened when birth control is discussed. It's a fact.
  6. Ditto teen pregnancy.
  7. The shit our (U.S.) government is doing is, in fact, shit. How dare they treat helpless children like cattle because their parents didn't come into the country legally? And try to use the name of God to justify it! Thing is, as near as I can tell, they believe what they're saying. I mean, I can't tell with "President Trump" because he's erratic. But the others I listed up there, trying to say this shit is God's will because Trump said so? And the people who honestly believe it and support them? I just can't fathom it. 
    1. In fact, I told a friend I didn't understand it - all of it from border crap to protesting against kneeling football players- and he said it was racism. I'm sure it is, but that doesn't mean I understand it. I just do not grok.
    2. Also, healthcare and guns. Other first world countries do not have the problems we have with these. Do Trump supporters think this is a coincidence? Facts exist. 
  8. Climate change is a real thing. The earth is (almost) round like a ball, not a disc. We did land
    on the moon (and I'm reserving judgment on whether we were told on international television to kill all the Silence on sight).
  9. I'm not only an autism awareness advocate; I'm an autism acceptance advocate. People who want to "cure" it, I feel you, and some of you have a lot harder row to hoe than me. But just because it's different doesn't mean it's wrong or bad or an illness. Or caused by vaccines. 
  10. SCIENCE. Live it. Love it. Be one with it. Vaccinate the kids. Look at the facts as well as the faith.
For crying out loud, just be decent human beings!

No comments:

Post a Comment