Safety and Security Notice:

I never include last names or specific private locations here, for the safety of our children. If you or your child is a friend of me or mine, and you approve a first name and photo being posted as appropriate, please click this link to email me with written permission. Thank you

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

The End of an Era

As most of you know, my husband Laston died in the middle of the night between Tuesday and Wednesday of this week. He'd been under (colon, metastasized to his liver) cancer treatment for ten months, and in the past few weeks his liver just gave up, taking his kidneys with it. So the rest of his organs started shutting, with one week between learning he was terminal and last night.

All I really have to share right now is a rather disjointed collection of impressions, both good and bad, and I hope you'll put up with me. Also I am a little tipsy on exhaustion and anxiety meds, prescribed by my doctor on the suggestion of our nurse social worker in the oncology unit.

Hospice is the most helpful place ever; from nurses to doctors to counselors and even the ambulance drivers (I needed to do something positive and so I called their supervisor to give them kudos). I can't think of a better place to end life than the Evergreen Hospice Care Center.

Pacific Medical Center really needs to change their hold music. It hasn't changed since before Abby was born (so around fourteen years at least; she'll be fourteen in December). It has this pause that makes the caller think that the line has been picked up, and then the damn music starts again and you just want to scream.

I have overcome my fear of underground parking garages and their adjoining stairs and elevators.

People are just so supportive and so nice. I haven't got enough space to list everyone here, but a few shout-outs go especially to Mike & Gabi, Mike & Lucy, Carrie & Jason, Rich & Diane, The denizens of Chez Davis-Downes, Aileen, Mom, Aunt Wendy & Uncle Bob, Dad, Steph, Chrissy, T, Meg, Dianna, Brandi, Charlie Hoover, and the members of the Woodinville Washington Friday morning at ten Weight Watchers meeting. If I've missed anyone, please forgive me.

Also, please know that while we are heartbroken and despairing at the moment, we're going to be okay over here at Chez Gamers Babes. All of your support, from monetary to changing light bulbs, from offering specific services and help to just being there; these things will help us tremendously, and we so appreciate it.

I think we will have a very small memorial service soon, and then in a few months we'll have a full-on Laston Kirkland Memorial Game Day Open House.

I think he'd like that.

That's all I have for now; I think the meds are starting to hit. But thank you my friends, all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment