Safety and Security Notice:

I never include last names or specific private locations here, for the safety of our children. If you or your child is a friend of me or mine, and you approve a first name and photo being posted as appropriate, please click this link to email me with written permission. Thank you

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Like a Simile of a Racist Metaphor

Lizzy and I are reading the Encyclopedia Brown books, because I dug out my old one and she loved it. They're great books that help her learn problem solving and critical thinking, and lead to lots of good discussions about things that don't really apply anymore (they were mostly written in the 1960's), except for one thing.

I'm okay with explaining that 25 cents is a reasonable price for a day's work (for a brainy ten-year-old) in 1965. I can even deal with explaining (ad nauseum) that yes, we call the people who were here before us Native Americans now, but that they didn't back then and that's okay as long as we look at it in the historical sense.

But the constant stream of phrases like, "Encyclopedia leapt to his feet faster than Sitting Bull on a branding iron," and, "More feathers than a powwow," make me want to shake the author of the book, even back in the 1960s.

Lizzy accepts them with equanimity, except for the, "Native Americans, right, mom?" She says it almost every time.

She's a good kid, and I'm proud of her.

I'm also proud of the company I work for; I work as a tech support rep at AT&T Mobility. And right now they're canceling the charges for all calls and texts to Nepal.

That's a very cool thing to do.

And I'm glad I work there.


No comments:

Post a Comment