Safety and Security Notice:

I never include last names or specific private locations here, for the safety of our children. If you or your child is a friend of me or mine, and you approve a first name and photo being posted as appropriate, please click this link to email me with written permission. Thank you

Saturday, July 5, 2014

Out of the Mouths... Once Again

I did say I'd be blogging more here now that I'm not doing it for a living, but I think it's already been more in the past two weeks than in the several months before this. I think I hadn't realized how much it had fallen by the wayside when I was busy earning my meager living writing forty blog posts a day on such diverse topics as portable urinals, the efficacious results of using turmeric as a cure-all, and how to survive in case of zombie apocalypse (not really, but basic survival supplies were a regular feature).

In any case, I was chatting online with my friend +kat Folland about our kids and the funny things they say, and I told her a couple of stories about mine that amuse me (I won't tell you her kids' stories; they're not mine to tell). But there are a few that I wanted to share (whether I already have or not, just because they watermelon (and you'll see why that's funny below).

Abby has this huge vocabulary but has a complete block on the word "extract;" she keeps saying "abstract" instead, no matter the context. As in "these Savannah Smiles contain traces of tree nuts because they have almond abstract, so if you're allergic to nuts I would buy Thin Mints instead."

When my sister was about four, she asked our dad to "read it expensive," referring to a poem (probably The Tale of Custard the Dragon). She meant "expressive." My girls have heard that story so often that this is now their word for expressive.

My ex-husband used to read Abby The Very Hungry Caterpillar every night, and he would tickle her when the caterpillar ate through a slice of watermelon, Abby (and because of her, Lizzy) habitually says "tickle word" in place of "watermelon" (and "sandia," the Spanish word for it).

And I just explained the Three Laws of Robotics in the very simplest terms to six-year-old Lizzy, because the injured toy (Robot Ray) on Disney Junior's Doc McStuffins wasn't following them, and therefore got hurt. When you are an electronic robot toy, and the doctor tells you to stay out of the water, follow her advice. It's the Second Law... and the Third too. 

This is how life goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment