Safety and Security Notice:

I never include last names or specific private locations here, for the safety of our children. If you or your child is a friend of me or mine, and you approve a first name and photo being posted as appropriate, please click this link to email me with written permission. Thank you

Sunday, April 6, 2014

An Interesting Thing

I am in (as is usual) a five-week long class, working toward my BSc in Communication with a specialty in Intercultural Communication.

This class is a 200-level class, and since I have been taking 400-level classes for about a year now, I'm finding this one fairly simple. This means I can play with it a bit.

And because it is a class in Contemporary American Culture, I find myself referencing a lot of Broadway musicals (both American and one originating in the UK) and a few TV shows and movies, and other entertainment media in my posts to the forum, and now I'm even doing it in an essay. It's a class centering on stereotypes and the like, and as troperiffic as I am, I'm finding that I know a lot more of these than I thought.

So far I have referenced or quoted:

  • Porgy and Bess
  • Star Trek 
  • Sesame Street 
  • Lady Gaga's Born this Way
  • The Disney Channel's Jessie and ANT Farm 
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer,
  • Spamalot 
  • South Pacific 
  • Nickelodeon's VicTORIous 
  • Blues' Clues 
  • Star Wars: A New Hope and Star Wars: The Phantom Menace 
  • Family Guy 
  • Doctor Who 
  • Torchwood 
  • The Sarah Jane Adventures 
  • Meet Fred
  • The Hunger Games
  • South Park
In the paper I'm writing at the moment, I am talking about The Jazz Singer and West Side Story.

I really like this class. Having a little trouble with citation though, because I have all this entertainment trivia in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment