Safety and Security Notice:

I never include last names or specific private locations here, for the safety of our children. If you or your child is a friend of me or mine, and you approve a first name and photo being posted as appropriate, please click this link to email me with written permission. Thank you

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Almost Done


The school I'm in has gotten some bad press lately, because they're closing several on-the-ground campuses, although the only way this should affect online students such as myself is in losing live tutoring services. I feel bad for those who will have to either go online when they're used to on-the-ground, or commute to a further campus. But times are hard for for-profit schools too, and not everyone learns well online. We all have our learning quirks.

But I just got off the phone with my academic counselor, and I feel great. As soon as my current class is over (three more weeks!) I am Done With F&^king Algebra Forever, and back to classes that mean something to me, both in the academic and affectionate senses.

Next up is Communication Variety: the Spice of Life. I'm back to two classes (since F&^king Algebra will be done) and the other is Information Strategies: Putting 2 and 2 Together (and no, it's not math, and even if it was, arithmetic I can handle).

After those and two more, I will have an Associate of Arts in Communications.

And then I start on a Bachelor of Science in Cultural Communications.

Now I was able to transfer 15 credits from the Long Ago toward my AA. I have 33 credits from back then to transfer toward my BS. That's a lot of credits. And it covers all my electives, which is lovely except that any other classes I want to take I will have to take separately. I wouldn't mind a creative writing class for instance, but  it won't be part of this degree; I used up all my electives in the late 1980s with things like Spanish and Signing Exact English and other classes that count as Humanities.

Assuming no breaks in schooling, I will receive a Bachelor of Science for my 46th birthday.

Wow.

2 comments:

  1. Go girl!! I'm going to have mine at 43 or 44. I have the opposite - took everything but humanities credits long long ago. i would have done your Algebra for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. woohoo! That is awesome. :)

    When I did a math class through them (for some reason all my stats classes didn't count because they were lower division?), it was actually fun doing it online. They had this cool pie chart thing that let you pick what module to work on when and it would fill up each section as you completed it.

    I love that I took "lower division" stats, then had to take "upper division" stats, then when I went to get my MBA, they insisted that I had to take "graduate level" stats. So, all in all, I ended up taking 5 stats classes. I can tell you I learned more in the first 1 than I did in the other 4 combined. :)

    ReplyDelete