Safety and Security Notice:

I never include last names or specific private locations here, for the safety of our children. If you or your child is a friend of me or mine, and you approve a first name and photo being posted as appropriate, please click this link to email me with written permission. Thank you

Saturday, December 31, 2022

Move

Image description: a Bitmoji cartoon of me,
a chubby, fair-skinned, green-eyed,
brunette-with-gray person wearing blue
winter clothing, in yoga warrior pose
 Yes, folks, that is my resolution goal single word.

One of my favorite communities on Facebook had a thought that rather than making resolutions or even setting a goal, we might want to try just choosing a single word to represent these things for 2023.

My word is MOVE.

Not as in moving house (I sure hope not), but as in moving my body.

Resolutions such as "lose 80 pounds" or "exercise x minutes every day" or even (god help me) extra super-duper-specific ones like "forego this particular favorite food (like most dairy) out of your diet because it's Bad For You" have not served me well.

Simpler, more general goals like "lose weight" or "exercise more" or "cut down on x food" or (heh) "don't be a bitch" are better, but I still run into trouble with feeling guilty for not doing "necessary things" before self-care things.

I got an Apple Watch for Christmas (thanks, Dad!) and I'm finding it very useful. Those Activity Circles had best be closed by the end of each day, people. And I decided to hell with it, I'm 54, and I refuse to be embarrassed anymore about doing yoga modified for the elderly or the obese. I'll do what I can when I can, and I'll try to close those circles, but as the nice yoga-for-seniors instructors on YouTube keep reminding me: if I can't do some move or another on a given day, that's fine. Just modify (or skip) and move on.

Same with food. Today was a bad day for food, probably because I've been eating all the rich (and often dairy-laden) food for two weeks. So I'm backpedaling to stuff I know is safe - baked potato, asparagus, and leftover pork roast.

So that's it.

MOVE

No comments:

Post a Comment