Safety and Security Notice:

I never include last names or specific private locations here, for the safety of our children. If you or your child is a friend of me or mine, and you approve a first name and photo being posted as appropriate, please click this link to email me with written permission. Thank you

Monday, April 1, 2024

Dude, Seriously?

So... blew out the other knee.

An annoyed-looking Bitmoji cartoon of a
curly-haired brunette with the caption
"SRSLY?!" in a speech bubble.

This is the one I use for work, so... bad words have been uttered, loudly and indiscriminately. Especially when I stubbed my toe on the opposite foot. On the crutch, lol, just to make things even more ironic.

Dear Universe, please stop using me for your April Fools jokes.

Anyway, at this moment about 14 hours after I hit the ER this morning, I have random tidbits of information, some interesting, some useful, some just funny (as my sense of humor is reasserting itself).

I can't work until at least next Monday, after I see the orthopedist on Friday. The Monday in question - April 8th - is the first day of spring break for me, my younger child, and my students. This gives me extra time to recover. Lizzy's trip to the aquarium on the 6th (and then a sleepover) with her besties will either have to be with a different driver for the outing part of the festivities or be pushed to summer break. I won't be able to drive yet, and I certainly won't be able to walk around the aquarium; look what traipsing all over SakuraCon did for to me!

But just in case this ends up being longer term than a couple of weeks, I plan to contact the company through which I get tech writing gigs and tell them my availability is for more hours than usual... at least after I talk to the ortho. I suck at being idle for longer than a day or so... so I did a lot of phone calling and online stuff.

Lizzy is an excellent nurse. She even has that gently-bullying-the-patient-into-taking-their-meds skill down. I knew this because I'm asthmatic, but it was nice to see anyway.

There are a whole lot of other things I can do - some of which I have already done. 

I linked my MyCharts between the hospital and my regular doctor. Now I can see X-rays and follow-ups in the same login! No bone damage on the X-rays as far as they can see; it looks like SSDL (same shit different leg).

I called and canceled my physical therapy for this week, and alerted them that next week might be rather more involved.

I discovered that some of the medical jargon around messed-up joints is downright hilarious, at least in the moment. Who knew that a knee could be "internally deranged?" It makes it sound like my knee is having some sort of psychotic breakdown.

I stayed hydrated and did not overeat today, as hydration is important for healing, and obesity (which is already considerable in my case) just makes recovery take longer and hurt more. To that end, I ordered healthy and portable snacks (that can fit in a pocket, of which I attained lots at the Other Knee party last year).

I set my Apple Fitness goals wayyy down today. I'll set them a little higher tomorrow. I can still use my little hand weights after all.

Abby and I plan to do laundry tomorrow. I can fold as long as she brings me things and puts them away.

So, as usual, I've got this. I'm pissed that I'm in a position to be required to "got this" but here we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment